Moldovan opposition splitting up
Once united opposition in Moldova is splitting up as the nationwide presidential election is approaching. The opposition forces blame each other of ‘betrayal and plots with the government,’ and, consequently, of the refusal from the demands they had made at the civil forum.
Leader of Our Party Renato Usatii has said that Igor Dodon, the leader of the Party of Socialists, met with Vladimir Plahotniuc, a Moldovan oligarch, the key political opponent of the oppositionists, while having vacations in Cyprus.
Dodon demanded Usatii to refute his statement and apologize in public for what he called allegations.
“These are allegations,” Dodon said demanding proofs from Usatii. The politician urged the partners in protests to set aside the personal ambitions and grievances and exert efforts towards achievement of common goals: snap parliamentary elections, resignations of the heads of the government agencies who may affect the voting, as well as “election of the president from the opposition, not from oligarchs.”
Renato Usatii did not comment on Dodon’s statements. He had already apologized to Igor Dodon previously for accusing the Socialists of betrayal.
EADaily reported earlier that on March 4, the Constitutional Court of Moldova made the final decision on election of the president through direct secret voting of the citizens (previously, the president was elected by the parliament in Moldova).
The new age requirements have been announced for the presidential candidate – at least 40 years (versus previous 35). Actually, Renato Usatii, the favorite candidate for the post of the president, has been left out of the presidential race due to his age. He suggested his colleagues in the protests – the Party of Socialists and the Dignity and Truth civil platform – to combine effort to dispute the decision of the Constitutional Court. Igor Dodon, in turn, said the Party of Socialists recognizes the decision and will participate in the election.
Published on March 10th, 2016 09:44 AM