Iran expects that the European Union increases its investments into the economy of the Islamic Republic as one of the measures of the European participants of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action to protect the nuclear deal after the US withdrawal from it, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said in Tehran on May 20 during his meeting with EU Commissioner Climate Action & Energy Miguel Arias Cañete, Al Jazeera reports.
“In the current situation, EU policy is not enough to keep (in force) the nuclear deal,” the Iranian minister said. “The EU should take more practical steps to increase investments, if it plans to continue the economic cooperation with Iran.”
France considers an opportunity for the EU to pay to European companies that can be hit by the US sanctions against Iran.
On May 8, US President Donald Trump announced that Washington quits from the Iranian deal that was limiting Tehran in the nuclear sphere in exchange for lifting sanctions of the UN Security Council and unilateral restrictions imposed previously by the USA and EU. As Trump said, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action allowed the Iranian authorities continue working on its nuclear bomb bypassing the restrictions. The US president accused Iran of abetting terrorism and aspirations to continue its works on nuclear weapons. At the same time, Trump said a new agreement is needed.
After that the USA extended sanctions against Iran. They could affect negatively non-American companies doing business in Iran. The rest members of the plan criticized the Trump decision and said they would keep to the agreement.
Leaders of Great Britain, Germany, and France called all participants of the deal to fully implement it.