Azerbaijan reports death of soldier caused by ceasefire violation
Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry has reported that an Azerbaijani soldier has been killed as a result of a ceasefire violation in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone.
“Right after the peace talks in Vienna, on May 17, the Armenian armed forces broke the ceasefire on the contact line and killed Azerbaijani soldier Tairli Natig Namig oglu. As a result of our countermeasures, the enemy sustained losses. We state once again that the responsibility for all possible incidents and human losses in the conflict zone rests with the military-political leadership of Armenia,” Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry says.
Earlier, the Nagorno-Karabakh authorities reported that on May 17 night the Azerbaijani troops shelled the contact line and killed a Nagorno-Karabakh soldier.
On May 16, the Armenian and Azerbaijani presidents and the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs met in Vienna. The sides confirmed their commitment to stop fire on the contact line. The presidents agreed to apply the OSCE’s incident investigation mechanisms as a way to reduce violence on the contact line. They also agreed to enlarge the powers of the personal representative of the OSCE chairman-in-office and to continue exchanging data on missing persons under the ICRC’s aegis.
- 19.10 CSTO Summit in Yerevan: Disparate interests and Armenia’s mistakes
- 05.10 Armenia-Azerbaijan: militarization of the conflict
- 19.09 Expert: In case of real threat, Yerevan can use Iskander missile systems at its sole discretion
- 18.09 Armenia-Iran: Yerevan needs a decision on the “Karabakh finish”
- 15.09 Armenia’s Foreign Ministry: Previous documents on Karabakh need to be revised
Published on May 17th, 2016 10:37 AM